Why Belarusians look for something that does not exist (fern flower search on July 6 for example)
B for Belarus #4 (2019-07-10) expert talk about Belarus with Vladimir Baranich and Yaroslav Romanchuk
- Belarusian holidays with distant ties to reality.
- Belarusians in the state of fusion of Christianity, Soviet ideology, paganism and preenlightenment ideas.
- Searching for something that does not exist: fern flower mystery and why it persists
- Independence day and its military flavor. Belarus starts the war information campaign in May and finishes in July. Does it make people more patriotic?
- why Belarusians keep science in disregard? Fear, deficit of self-esteem and laziness.
- legally serfdom is long gone but it still lives in the hearts and minds of Belarusians. Many of them are sure that the government/Lukashenko pays them pensions and provides for other public services, that the government creates jobs and ensures free health and education. Too many Belarusians treat a nomenclature boss with divine reverence and fear.
- freedom as a low ranking value in the hierarchy of Belarusians. They celebrate mysticism and escapism, not liberation.